Woodbury is a Voluntary Aided School which means that it was established, and is owned, by a Voluntary body - in this case the Church. As such the Church has a measure of control over various aspects of the life of the school.
The partnership between the Local Authority and the Church is reflected in the composition of the Governing Body, which must by law, be biased towards the Foundation Governors (those appointed through the Church). The Foundation Governors are appointed to ensure that the Christian character of the school is preserved and developed and the minister of St Swithun’s Church is a member of the Governing Body.
In addition to the strategic responsibilities of all school Governors, those of Aided schools also:
St Swithun’s Church and the White Cross Mission Community
We have strong links with St. Swithun’s Church. As a School we worship in the Church twice a term and Rev. Karen Spray or one of her ministry team regularly visit school to lead acts of Collective Worship or talk with the children about aspects of faith.
St Swithin’s Church is located in the heart of the village and was consecrated in 1409. It is a beautiful church with many interesting features including an intricate woodwork screen above which is a sculpture of an angel, which inspired the school logo.
In November 2009, the parishes of Woodbury and Exton joined with the neighbouring parishes of Aylesbeare, Farringdon, Clyst St George, Clyst St Mary and Woodbury Salterton to create the White Cross Mission Community. For more information visit White Cross Mission Community or Exeter Diocesan
Privacy and cookies policy © Woodbury C of E Primary School. All rights reserved. 2017